Over the holiday break I had a chance to restructure my bookshelves and do one of my favorite things…meander through my books!
Books are NOT just for nerds like me. Books are a wise conversation with an old soul.
Hemingway said, “no friend is as loyal as a book.”
Jefferson said simply, “I cannot live without books.”
Or how about this more modern Game Of Thrones reference:
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
You will need to keep your edge throughout 2020 as it is an important year, and books will sharpen you.
Here are four books that I recommend you load up for 2020 and spend time re-investing in yourself (in no particular order)…
- The Alchemist by Pablo Coelho (1988): It is an adventure book of wisdom. My son and I listened to it in the car on the way to school every day last year and what a treat!
- This Is Marketing by Seth Godin (2018): Although a relatively new book, it is an important discussion, non-traditional walk through the most frustrating (at least for me) topic in business. This is NOT a “100x your business by tomorrow” kind of book…it is for those of you who are willing to work the long-game.
- Good Work by E.F. Schumacher (1979): I found this in an old, small book store in Chicago and was immediately taken by this explanation of the three purposes of human work. Schumacher wrote it in the late 1970s and it is eerily relevant today.
- Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard (2006): The founder of Patagonia gives you a counter-business-culture insight into life as a socialist-minded entrepreneur operating in a capitalist world. Regardless of your affinity, this book will breed ideas, insights, and a pinch of intentional confusion.
- Oh yeah…one more. Generation Z Unfiltered by Tim Elmore (2019): Trust me…just read this.
This is not a list of my top books of all time (that may come later this year)…but some powerful reads to keep you engaged in this important year of re-investment.
Re-invest in yourself…set a timer for 10 minutes per day and commit to reading.
“But reading is boring!” Read anyway until that mindset changes:).
Be like my buddy TJ who does not consider himself a reader but realized last year the impact that reading has on his family…look closely at one of my favorite pictures…
It is a life-discipline that will TRANSFORM you.
P.s. – you can add my book Let Your Business Burn to your list, and while you’re at it register for our next free BOP Webinar RIGHT HERE “Start Hiring The RIGHT PEOPLE: Watch Me Build A Predictable Hiring Process Right In Front Of Your Eyes”
Scott Beebe is the founder of Business On Purpose, author of Let Your Business Burn: Stop Putting Out Fires, Discover Purpose, And Build A Business That Matters. Scott also hosts The Business On Purpose Podcast and can be found at mybusinessonpurpose.com.