Good afternoon friends! Thomas Joyner with Business on Purpose here thanks for tuning in.
One of my favorite comedians of all time is Jeff Foxworthy. His…” You might be a redneck” jokes still make me laugh to this day. His bits like, “the redneck spelling bee,” or going on and on about how rednecks are attracted to shiny things like bass boats, beer cans and UFOs had me rolling for hours on end growing up.
So, I thought I would put a little twist on it today. If you’re a redneck, good for you. I applaud you in that endeavor. However, there’s a far more dangerous situation for you as a business owner or key leader. And that’s if you’re in chaos. Here at Business on Purpose, our mission is to liberate small businesses from chaos. Plain and Simple.
If you're looking for more resources to work ON your business, we have them.
But how do you know if you’re in chaos? How do you know if you’re in deep? You know I remember having my first child. We were so sleep-deprived we almost couldn’t remember what a full night of sleep was. But once our child finally slept through the night and we got that taste of normalcy again, it was a shock to the system! We never wanted to go back to those sleepless nights.
So I hope this is a shock to the senses. A wake-up call, that, if this is you, you need to put some work in to punch chaos in the mouth. It’s robbing you of joy, of profitability, of your lifestyle, and most importantly your mental health.
Now, these are not just some funny lines I made up, but are actual quotes from businesses I have met with and worked through these issues. So, if you check all the boxes, know you’re not alone. But know you need someone in your corner walking you back to sanity and back to systems in your business.
Alright! You might be in chaos…
1. If you’ve ever woken up early on vacation to return voicemails or emails…you might be in chaos.
2. If you’ve ever wondered if something happened to me today (car accident, sickness, injury) my business would go under…you might be in chaos.
3. If you’ve ever printed out your P&L and wondered why the number at the bottom was a negative number… YOU MIGHT BE IN CHAOS.
Now you know how this works, don’t get upset. These are real situations that can be avoided and worked through! Please don’t be offended, but please know there’s another way.
4. If you’ve ever canceled a lunch meeting because “my guys just need me on the job site”…you might be in chaos.
5. If you’ve ever hired someone and they quit within 2 mos because you “missed a red flag” in the interview…you might be in chaos.
6. If your sales are going up, but your profitability is going down…you might be in chaos.
Again, not picking on anyone, but these conversations happen weekly with business owners and we build systems to fix each and every one of them!
7. If you are so sick of doing what you’re doing that you, “just want to sell!”… you might be in chaos.
8. If someone asks you your margins on a job and you can’t back it up with numeric proof… you might be in chaos.
9. If your employee asks you where the business will be in 2 years and what their role will be and you DON’T know the answer… you might be in chaos.
Man…these are convicting. I hope they are for you too!
10. If you find yourself being the person who handles every emergency on the weekend, because “at least I know I’ll do it right”… you might be in chaos.
Hey, listen. I had a bit of fun with these. The point of these is not to make you feel bad about yourself or your business. Actually quite the opposite. It’s to shock the senses a bit and help you see that there are businesses out there that are doing things differently. That may have slipped into bad habits, but because they were challenged, built the business they dreamed of and wouldn’t check a single one of those boxes!
It’s true. And it can be true for you! If you’re frustrated or just want to hear a different way to do business, an intentional, on purpose way of doing business that will lift you out of the chaos…let’s grab lunch. We would love to walk alongside you and your business to help you make time for what matters most.
IF that’s too much right now, just subscribe to our podcast and youtube channel. Start there. It’s an easy first step.
Thanks so much! Have a great week.
Thomas Joyner is a business coach in the Lowcountry of South Carolina specializing in liberating business owners from chaos. He is a weekly contributor to The Business on Purpose podcast and can be found at mybusinessonpurpose.com